My name is Dr. Sherritta Hughes and I’m a licensed mental health counselor and approved clinical supervisor. In addition, I am a counselor educator, clinical supervisor, and Assistant Professor on tenure track at a university in New Jersey.
Past and Current Leadership Roles:
- Past-President of the Maryland Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development (MAMCD)
- 2019 Interim-President-Elect for the New Jersey Counseling Association (NJCA).
- 2019/2020 President of the New Jersey Counseling Association (NJCA).
- 2019/2020 Historian for the North Atlantic Region for Counselor Educators and Supervisors (NARACES).
Theoretical Orientation and Perspectives for Practice:
As a theoretical counseling orientation, wellness counseling and cultural development across the lifespan are my practice areas as an educator, supervisor, and in therapy with clients. I have an affinity for discussion, leadership, and solutions on topics that pertain to social justice, marginalization, and oppression. Moreover, I have an appreciation for multiculturalism, life long learning, and advocacy.
- Morgan State University, Baltimore, MD — Bachelor’s of Science degree in Psychology
- Alabama Agricultural & Mechanical University (AAMU), Huntsville, AL — Master’s of Science degree in Clinical Psychology
- The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, Washington, D.C. (Campus) — Doctoral degree in Counselor Education and Supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) — Counselor Education and Supervision
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) — Clinical mental health counselor
- Approved Clinical Supervisor (ACS) — Clinical mental health supervisor and educator for counselors-in-training and continuing education for mental health providers (e.g., LPC)
Professional Association Membership:
- New Jersey Counseling Association (NJCA)
- Maryland Counseling Association (MCA)
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- American Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES)
- North Atlantic Region (NARACES)
- National Employment Counseling Association (NECA)